Monday, August 2, 2010

Peachy keen


A bag of peaches. That's what I brought home from the farmer's market last week and I had no idea what to do with them. They looked great, but there were a TON of them and they were REALLY ripe....I mean, two handed, juicy faced, two paper toweled, ripe.

So, as the fruit flies started making a plan about how they were going to invade, I quickly decided on a chilled peach soup from a Whole Foods recipe. Verdict: Amazing. Just ask my wife.

Chilled Peach Soup Recipe (adapted from Whole Foods)

8 peaches
2 cups water
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup honey
Zest and juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste
Mint sprigs

Method

Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Cut a small “X” through the bottom of each peach, then drop them into the water to blanch for 20 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer peaches to a bowl of ice water. When peaches are cooled, drain well then peel them, starting from the “X” at the bottom of each peach. Discard skin and pits and transfer peaches to a blender.

Add water, apple juice, honey, lime zest and juice, salt and pepper and blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.

Serves 6 to 8 (Serving size: just over 1/2 cup (90 calories per)

1 comment:

  1. I had an amazing peach soup in Camden awhile back...so I think I will try this. Thanks for sharing. And I look forward to reading more about Salad Week!!

    ReplyDelete